Who can I contact with additional questions regarding the Idaho Invasive Species Fund (IISF) program?
The Idaho Department of Agriculture manages the IISF program.

Who can I contact with questions specific to the IISF Sticker program? 
The Idaho Department of Parks and Recreation.
32 or 1-208-334-4197 (M-F 8am to 4pm MST)

Noxious Weeds and Invasive species

How can I petition for a species to be added to the Idaho Noxious Weed and Invasive Species lists?
You can petition ISDA to initiate negotiated rulemaking.  For additional information and access to this petition, please visit ISDA's Rulemaking page @ http://www.agri.state.id.us/AGRI/Categories/LawsRules/sub_rules/Rulemaking.php.

Inspection Station Related:

What is a roadside inspection station?
A road-side inspection station is a checkpoint where all watercraft are inspected for aquatic invasive species, including quagga mussel.

Where are the roadside inspection stations located?
The road-side inspection stations are targeting boats that are coming into Idaho. The inspection stations are predominately located on Idaho’s borders. Location Map

Why do I need to have my boat inspected?
Aquatic invasive species seriously impact waterbodies. Species like quagga mussel “hitchhike” from one body of water to the next, primarily on boats. 

Do I need to get inspected every time I come to an inspection station?

How long will the checkpoints run?
The main time period will be from Memorial Day through Labor Day. Some stations open earlier, and will remain open longer. 
Is there a fee to have your boat decontaminated?
There is no fee to have your boat hotwashed at an inspection station. The Invasive Species Sticker covers the cost of the boat cleaning in the event an inspector determines that your boat is “High Risk.”


Who can I contact with questions specific to the IISF sticker?
The Idaho Department of Parks and Recreation 1-800-247-6332

What kind of vessels need to have the sticker? 
Any boat that is registered in Idaho or another state, and any non-motorized vessel (canoe, kayak, raft, drift boat, etc.) need to have the sticker. Inflatable non-motorized vessels must be less than 10 feet in length to be exempted from this requirement.

Why are boaters being asked to help fund invasive species prevention? 
Aquatic invasive species seriously impact waterbodies. Species like the quagga mussel “hitchhike” from one body of water to the next, primarily on boats.

What else can I do to help? 
Proper cleaning and drying of boats and all equipment that may have come into contact with the water is the most important step boaters can take to prevent inadvertently spreading invasive species. 

Are government agencies exempt from purchasing this sticker? 
No. The law does not provide any exemption for government agencies.

Why are quagga mussels such a threat? And why is prevention so important? 
These species live for several days out of water, they reproduce quickly, clog pipes, foul infrastructure and damage recreational equipment. They do not occur in Idaho, but once they are introduced, eradication will be impossible. The quagga will upset the food chain by consuming phytoplankton that other species need to survive. They are filter feeders that consume large portions of the microscopic plants and animals that form the base of the food web. Their consumption of significant amounts of phytoplankton from the water decreases zooplankton and can cause a shift in native species and a disruption of the ecological balance of entire bodies of water. In addition, they can displace native species, further upsetting the natural food web.

What is a Quagga Mussel and how is it affecting our waters? 
Quagga mussels (Dreissena bugensis) and zebra mussels (Dreissena polymorpha) are small, freshwater bi-valve mollusks (relatives to clams and oysters) that are triangular in shape with black (or dark brown) and white (or cream) striped markings that appear on its shell. They are the only freshwater mussel in the United States that attaches to hard surfaces. These non-native mussels are not in Idaho. Link to USGS

How much is the new sticker? 
Sticker prices are as follows: $10 for motorized vessels registered in Idaho, $30 for other motorized vessels, and $7 per non-motorized vessel. Discounts for non-motorized commercial fleets are available. Beginning in 2010, the $10 fee became part of the annual registration fee for in-state registrations.

Why do I have to purchase this additional sticker?
To assist in funding the prevention of invasive aquatic species within the state of Idaho, most commonly transferred and introduced by boats (motorized and non-motorized).

What will the fees cover? 
The fees generated from the sale of IISF stickers will fund vessel inspections, washing stations and informational materials that will assist Idaho with preventing the introduction of aquatic invasive species like quagga mussels.

Where can I purchase the sticker? 
Stickers are available for purchase by mail or online, using a secure application and payment portal. Additionally, stickers can be obtained at any Idaho State Park or regional service center (Boise, Idaho Falls and Coeur d’ Alene). and also at selected retail locations.

Is this a separate sticker from my boat registration sticker? 
No. Beginning in 2010, the $10 IISF sticker fee was incorporated into Idaho boater's annual registration fee, so your registration sticker will also be your invasive species sticker if you register in Idaho.

Does a nonresident boater have to purchase this sticker? 
Yes. The fee is $30 for motorized boaters who’s vessels are registered outside the state of Idaho and $7 for non-motorized boaters.

Will I have to purchase this sticker or pay this fee every year? 

Where do the stickers get attached on non-rigid boats such as inflatable rafts? 
Stickers can be slit with a knife and attached to the vessel with a zip tie, plastic attachment, or other similar mechanism. You may want to put a backing of some type on the sticker to prevent it from tearing before slitting. You may also want to consider having the sticker laminated into a hang tag or attaching the sticker to a sturdy placard before attaching it to the vessel.

If I launch my boat outside of Idaho do I need to have a sticker on my boat? 
If your boat is launched in Washington, Oregon, or another state, and thereafter enters Idaho waters, you are not required to have the sticker. Stickers are only required on boats that launch in Idaho waters.

I am a commercial outfitter with a nonmotorized fleet. How does the prorated group rate for these stickers work? 
Please contact IDPR ...